Affordable Housing Commission
History & Mission
On December 2, 2006, the Assembly held an Affordable Housing Summit in a joint meeting of the CBJ Assembly, Planning Commission, and the Affordable Housing Coalition. As an outcome of that Housing Summit, the Assembly adopted Resolution 2390 creating the Juneau Affordable Housing Commission. The Commission was established for a three-year period beginning January 2007 to make recommendations to the CBJ Assembly, through the Lands Committee, on all aspects of affordable housing. For more information about the history of the Affordable housing Commission.
Commissioners and Support Staff
The following is a list of the commissioners and liaisons to the commission:
- Alan Wilson, Chair
- Norton Gregory, Vice-Chair
- Stephen Sorensen
- Honey Bee Anderson
- Tamara Rowcroft
- Justin Shearer
- Rosemary Hagevig
- Shari Partin
- Wayne Coogan
Liaisons to the Commission
- Assembly Member Jesse Kiehl
- Community Development Department Senior Planner, Beth McKibben
- Lands & Resources Manager Heather Marlow, serves as the Commission Secretary
Comments for the commission should be directed to Lands & Resources Manager Heather Marlow at Heather_Marlow@ci.juneau.ak.us, via phone at 586-5252 or fax at 586-5392 via mail to 155 S. Seward Street, Juneau, AK 99801.
The work completed by the Juneau Affordable Housing Commission in 2011 included:
- Launch of Juneau Affordable Housing Fund financing process and securing additional funding from the state.
- Support for CBJ Lands Department use of CIP process to study targeted CBJ owned land parcels for development as affordable housing.
- Securing ongoing funding for Affordable Housing Coordinator position/contract with Juneau Economic Development Council under Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s Community Coordinator Grant program.
- Support for House Bill 264 – deferral of property tax assessment to promote construction
- Recommendation for the CBJ to develop tracts of CBJ owned land suitable for affordable housing identified in the Switzer Feasibility Study
- Support for the CBJ Bungalow Housing Amendment that allows private property owners to subdivide their lots.
- Identified lands within the Urban Service area suitable for Med to high density.
- Provided recommendation for the discounted sale of gravel for affordable housing development.
- Provided Recommendation to establish an Affordable Housing Coordinator with the Juneau Economic Development Council to serve as a liaison between the Affordable Housing Commission (AHC), the City and Borough of Juneau (CBJ) and groups working in the areas of low-cost housing development.
Regular Commission Meetings are scheduled for the second Tuesday of every month at 5:15 p.m. at the JEDC’s conference room at 612 W. Willoughby Ave. (unless otherwise specified).
All meetings are open to the general public. For further information, please call the City Clerk at 586-5278 or the City Manager's Office at 586-5240. Agendas, meeting packets, and minutes, are available here.